Monday, May 7, 2012

Arugula, Beet and Citrus Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette


A few weeks ago, I went to my favorite restaurant of all time.  Mikes Bistro Ahh, yumm, heaven on earth. The staff know us by name already, so embarrassing.

 I always order the same thing, appetizer Handmade Gnocchi (duck & chicken confit, roasted portobello mushrooms, fresh thyme, duck jus, white truffle oil). Entree Braised Boneless Short Ribs (sun-dried tomato barbecue glaze, mashed yams, braised kale, cilantro, turnip & mustard puree). Either I need to get out more, or its the perfect place on earth. (short of willy wonkas chocolate factory)

 Anyways, where was I ? Did I mention they have a dessert called Apple Annie, that haunts my dreams. Yes! that place is really good. Ok back to the salad.  So I wanted to try something new, and behold there it was.  Roasted & Marinated Beet Salad candied nuts, fresh citrus segments, orange beet vinaigrette, shaved endive.

Have you ever gone out to eat, had a dish and you knew immediately you need to try to recreate it?
I used canned whole beets. It seems like a culinary no no. Honestly I'm all ready for shortcuts if it doesn't jeapordize the flavor, to me they both taste the same.

Arugula, Beet and Citrus Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
1 orange, supremed
1 grapefruit, supremed,
2 cans whole beets, drained, rinsed and sliced
1 cup honey glazed pecans
4 cups baby arugala
Raspberry Vinaigrette -recipe below

First plate  some arugala, then add beets, scatter pecans and citrus segments. Finish with drizzle of vinaigrette. Assemble right before serving.

Raspberry Vinaigrette
2 raspberry flavored tea bags steeped in 1/4 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil
Combine dressing ingredients. Place in a jar and shake until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use. Toss with remaining salad ingredients

2 comments:

  1. Sounds right up MIL' s alley. I'll have to try it next time she comes. Btw can you post ur shavuos menu and tablescape ideas. I'm in need of some inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure your mil will love it. I made it this past shabbos for lunch and it was a big hit. Shavous, yes I'm working on the menus now, anything in paticular you would like to see? dessert? salad?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...