Sunday, May 6, 2012

Peanut Butter & Jelly French Toast Fingers


Seems a bit naughty? I know I just couldn't help myself. (And I had plenty of left over challah )  It started out as a simple PB+J sandwich but my niece who came for breakfast really wanted french toast. So as the story goes, her adorable cuteness won and  what was once a sandwich turned into a peanut butter stuffed french toast fingers with strawberry jelly dipper. To add a little bit of healthy I served it with a few slices of crunchy apple. I love the combination sweet, salty and tart.

 The "stuffed french toast concept" is old news but I love coming up with new combinations. How about chocolate hazelnut spread with sliced strawberries or apricot jam with slivered almonds. Now if you will excuse me, need to get my sneakers on. Breakfast is the reason I need to run a few extra miles this morning. Hey it was well worth it.

Peanut Butter & Jelly French Toast Fingers
4 slices of bread
Creamy or Crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp. butter
2 eggs
3 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar

Strawberry Jelly

Assemble 2 peanut butter sandwiches and cut off all the edges. Slice each sandwich into 3 strips.

 In a bowl  add eggs, milk,vanilla, and cinnamon and sugar whisk to combine. Preheat a skillet with 1 tbsp. butter . Dip each peanut butter sandwich finger into egg mixture on both sides add to skillet. Continue with the remaining sandwiches. fry on each side for about 3 minutes until french toast is golden. 

I heated the jelly with  1 tbsp. water for about 30 seconds in the microwave to make it warm and dippable.

Serve with a few slices of apple.

One more thing don't forget a tall glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...